Did counterfeit drugs play a role in the death of the superstar Prince? Prince is believed to have taken a painkiller that was mis-labeled. One of the drugs was Watson 385 which typically contains acetaminophen and hydrocodone; however it was a mixture that included fentanyl—a synthetic opioid 50 times more powerful than heroin. Mis-labeling is a well-known practice in the illicit prescription drug trade.
Prince weighed 112 pounds at the time of his death and was taking up to 80 pills a day. Autopsy results show Prince may have died on April 21, 2016 from an accidental overdose of fentanyl. Prince had no prescription for any controlled substances at the time.